Before I upgraded to my new wide format Epson printer, I was using an old HP wide format to print my large images. It did a fair enough job but it was rather finicky about what what I fed through it and this resulted in a number of very large prints with some sort of misprint.
You can see on this photo that there is a stripe running through the print. This happened when the paper carrier got caught and wouldn’t feed although the printer kept printing. So it printed over the same section a few times before I managed to free it. As you can also see, it was only a few inches from the end of the print which was about 11″ x 15″ in size so it was a little annoying when it happened.
I didn’t throw the print out knowing that one day I would find a use for it. And that day finally arrived when earlier this week I decided I needed a new wallet and this print was the perfect size once I trimmed away the misprinted piece. The finished size of the wallet is about 7.1/2″ x 4.1/2″ folded …
… and about 11.1/2″ open. I used digital grounds to print the image so the color is very vibrant, and then I sealed it with a paint-on sealer so now the fabric is protected from dirt and grime and needs only a wipe to clean it, and it can also withstand the rough use that a wallet usually gets.
The great thing about designing your own purses and wallets, is that you can make them to your own specifications and include extra pockets and holders as needed, so I added an open pocket for notes and a zipped pocket for change.
I made the center section flip, so on the other side I have a pocket with a tab so I can store other bits and pieces securely, and also another open pocket for receipts and my check book.
I edged it with some machine wrapped cording and a zig-zag stitch, and added a small unobtrusive snap for closure. I like the way the wallet turned out and I like it even more because I finally found a use for the print. Now, I just need to find uses for the other dozens of *injured* prints that I have lying around!