Explore creative techniques using your needle felting machine
Using a needle felting machine gives fiber artists the opportunity to embellish and create in a whole new way. Fabric, fibers, roving and felt can now be transformed in an instant and can be used to create and embellish fabric art, garments, and many other textile applications.
The best thing about using a needle felting machine is that no great skill is needed to learn how to use it, simply a willingness to explore and experiment with fabrics and fibers and be amazed at the results.
What You’ll Learn
The Felt-Punch-Embellish online workshop takes you on an exploration to discover many different ways your can work with fabric, roving and yarn, and will also teach you how to use your needle felting machine in creative and artistic ways.
Once you have mastered the techniques, all that remains is for you to continue experimenting and exploring with the different aspects of the techniques, discovering new and exciting ways in which the needle felting machine can provide you with opportunities for adding unique, personal and creative expression to your projects.
Modules and lessons include
This is a multi-media workshop which comprises detailed information and tutorials available online and also included in a downloadable pdf eBook, as well as videos and photo galleries for online viewing
- Introduction, Supply List and Resources
- Basic Techniques
- Working with Textured Fabric
- Texturizing Fabric
- Bunch-n-Punch Technique
- Layering Techniques
- Making Felt
- Making Felt Using Roving
- Making Felt Using Yarn
- Making Felt Using an Acrylic Felt Backing
- Entrapments using Water Soluble Stabilizer
- Working with Textured Fabric
- Project Techniques
- Free-form Collage
- Needle Felted Landscapes
- Needle Felted Appliques
- Faux Stained Glass Techniques
- Putting it All Together
- Introduction to using paint & dyes to prepare your fabrics, yarn, roving and felt
- Painting & Dyeing: Fabric and Yarn
- Painting & Dyeing: Roving and Felt
- Experimenting with Heat
Workshop materials include
- Step-by-step lessons for each of the modules listed above
- A 66 page downloadable pdf eBook containing all the step-by-step instructions included in the online lessons as well as photos, diagrams and templates
- approximately 40 minutes of supplementary video which has been fully edited and broken into 13 short videos of between 2-4 minutes each demonstrating how some of the techniques should be done. The short length of the videos means that the information is relevant and on topic, and you can easily find what you are looking for
- over 220 close-up photos showing you the good, the bad … and the ugly
These are some examples of how I use machine needle felting.
Click the thumbnail to enlarge
Basic Supply List
- Needle felting machine or attachment
a selection of fabric pieces such as organza, chiffon, pieces of acrylic felt in different colors (including black), tulle, dupioni silk – the best type is one that is shot through with at least one other different color, cotton lame, fabrics with metallic threads or designs, quilters’ cotton including batik, misc fabrics from your scrap bag including lace, decorative fabrics, silks, etc
a selection of different types of roving such as silk, soy silk, wool
A selection of different types of decorative yarns, fibers and ribbons
- Sewing Machine
- A variety of different types of thread for decorative top stitching
- Water Soluble Stabilizer – Mesh type is best such as Floriani Wet’n’Gone or OESD Aqua Mesh
Fabric paint for fabric (will result in a soft hand)
Silk paint/dye for silk fibers (Dye-Na-Flow free flowing paint is recommended – it is runny like dye)
- Heat Gun/Heat Tool
- Hand Embroidery Hoop (optional)
How the class works
This class is an online self-paced workshop that you can sign up and take at any time.
The online classroom is always open so you can access your lessons at any time. The lessons will be made available to you for the
All sales are final.
This is a self-paced online workshop and once registered you will have immediate access to the contents.
Still Got Questions?
This is a self-paced online workshop
After payment, please check your inbox for an email with a link so you can register to access the workshop.
After payment, please check your inbox for an email with a link so you can log into the online classroom where you’ll find your workshop.
If you experience any problems please email me (Mon-Fri).